Monday, September 10, 2012

Roller Derby Plus One

pic from eventful.com


Yes, there's another fan girl on the roller derby express. Natalie Damschroder - who's book, Under The Moon is out this month- (Check out my previous author interview with her here.) attended last night's bout with Misty Simon (Her latest book, What's Life Without The Sprinkles, is coming soon from The Wild Rose Press- Check out her previous author interview with me here) and myself. And I think it's safe to say that she's hooked.

Though our team got trounced, a fun time was had by all. It was great to get out of Chez Quinn for good behavior, though the tracking anklet cramped my style a bit. But what I liked most was meeting with good author friends and talking about writing. In the middle of the month. I don't usually get to do that more than once a month at our chapter meetings. Awesome.

A close second was eating at Neato Burrito. Man, I love that place. I keep threatening to compose a sonnet about all the wonderful goodness encapsulated in that eating establishment. It's not just the great food. The ambiance is a major factor as well. And their sour cream-feta-jalapeno salsa will need its very own verse at least.

We had a good time, saw some great roller derby and the freaks were letting their freak flags fly in force last night. I saw some truly wonderful characters that I admired from afar who got my writer juices pumping. Because some of them will definitely be making cameos in my stories. Just like my backyard carnies.

I almost rode my motorcycle to the bout, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. It's been a rough summer for me. I've only been out on the cycle about three times. And I'm jonesing for a ride.

Ava Quinn, contemporary western romance, cowboy romance, contemporary western romance novels, funny blog, contemporary western romance author, humor blog, Ninja motorcycle,
*sigh* Doesn't she look so lonely?

So what did you do this weekend?  Do you go anywhere in particular to watch fun, real-life characters? What would you write a sonnet in tribute to? Inquiring minds wish to know! 


2 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I had a great time with you guys! I hope I wasn't too annoying with my critique of strategy and stuff. LOL Nothing like someone coming into a sport on day one and spouting off about the rules. *eyeroll* But I loved the atmosphere of it and can't wait to go again!

And I would TOTALLY recite your sonnet about Neato Burrito everywhere I traveled, especially the part about the jalapeno-feta salsa.

Ava Quinn said...

Ha! Not at all. I enjoyed dissecting the defense.

And on the sonnet? I had a feeling you would!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...