Sunday, June 22, 2014

'Tis The Season...

of reruns.

What, again?

Yes, again.

In the summer, when my Urchins are home and life speeds up even more, I have less time for a whole bunch of stuff. Especially blogging. So I usually compensate with a few reruns. I'm feeling a little guilty this year since April and the AtoZ challenge was nothing but reruns here at Tongue In Cheek.

Plus, I'm feeling the undeniable pull of my iso chamber. Every once in a while, the world becomes too overwhelming for my skewed, old fashioned brain, and I cocoon up like a pill bug and decide that society can go on without me for a while. I even have an entire category devoted to those times.

I'm a 33 1/3 rpm girl living in an mp3 world. Sigh.

So with that thought, here's an EXTREMELY early post from way back in 2008. It's actually the second post I ever wrote.

Hopefully soon I'll emerge from my self imposed isolation. Until then, enjoy...

Pop Culture is Passing Me By (and I don't really care)

I don't pay for TV. I'll give you a moment to recover from the shock before I go on. Nope. No cable. No Direct TV. No satellite. Do you need more time to mop up the beverage you were drinking? I get five channels pretty clearly, and one that looks like an avalanche.

Every once in a while I surf my five and a half channels to see what's on, and as I return to the first one again I think to myself, "Yep. Nothing's on." I figure I'm saving myself a lot of time. I've heard many a person after they've surfed their two hundred plus channels come to the same conclusion.

I grew up in a house where there was no cable TV. I watched some MTV at a friend's house back in the day, but that was about the extent of it. So it never was a real inconvenience for me to be without it later.

Do I feel deprived? No. Not really.

The only thing really coming out of it is that pop culture is passing me by. Show me a picture of Usher, and you'd have to tell me who he is. Same with George Strait, Jonas Brothers, any contestant from American Idol, Nick Lahey, actors from CSI or Law and Order, and most of the cast of Sex And the City. (I'd recognize Sarah Jessica Parker from Square Pegs.) I could go on, but you get the idea.

There are some people that are so ubiquitous that they even penetrate my little cocoon. Even though I'd rather they didn't. For example, I know who Paris Hilton, Lindsey Lohan, Brittany Spears and Jessica Simpson are. And I have to say my life is no better for that knowledge. It may even be a little worse.

I've never seen an episode of Ghost Hunters, Rachel Ray or Sex and the City. Am I shocking you? Do you think I'm crazy? Could be, but as I live my life in ignorant bliss, just remember to speak slowly to me about anything dealing with pop culture. And ignore my confused stare.

I'll be okay. Honest.

12 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

LOL. You recognize more TV personalities than I do though I would know George Strait because my husband took me to one of his concerts for my birthday a few years ago.
I have some favorite TV shows but usually it's only background noise like an expensive radio.

Pat Hatt said...

lol I hear the name of many here and there but don't really care who they are

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

LOL I don't have tv either. I grew up in a home without cable too. We got it when I was in late middle school and I had it when I first moved away from home but about 6 years ago got rid of it again. I do watch dvds now and again but really don't miss tv much at all.

M.J. Fifield said...

I am a major TV addict. I would probably be much more productive if I didn't have TV, but the sad truth remains that I don't care because I NEED MY SHOWS. Also, if I didn't have TV, I'd just find something else to help me procrastinate...

I've never seen an episode of Rachel Ray, or Sex in the City either. I did watch one Ghost Hunters episode, though, because it took place in my town.

A Beer for the Shower said...

If you're crazy then we're absolutely insane. I haven't seen/heard any of those things. I actually don't even subscribe to TV anymore. Too much junk.

Ava Quinn said...

@Sue- So are you saying I'm more hip than you are? lol. Nice birthday gift!

@Pat- You and me both!! lol

@Anna- I watch some dvds and have since broken down and have Netflix streaming, but I don't watch it very much. Glad I'm not the only one! Besides, you've got books galore! :D

@M.J. I know there'd be shows I'd watch if I had it. Longmire being one, but you can't miss what you never had.

@A Beer For The Shower- Glad I'm in good company!

Crystal Collier said...

Ignorance is bliss. I guess that's why I prefer to be ignorant too. The only TV my hubby and I watch comes from recommendations and downloads. Same for the kids. It definitely makes our lives simpler, although my oldest's friends were a little shocked when he didn't know who Lady Gaga was.

Sherry Ellis said...

I can't say I'd miss TV much if we didn't have it. There's really nothing that great on.

Liz Blocker said...

I don't pay for TV, either!! GO US! ;) Well, technically, I have a Netflix subscription - does that count? I'm not sure.

I really, really hear you on needing to become a pill bug sometimes. That's definitely where I'm at, too. So I say go for it, and take the time you need, and take a blog vacation, too. You don't even have to post reruns - how bout that? (Although I do love them :) )

Seriously. Take care of yourself. We'll all be here when you reemerge :)

Ava Quinn said...

@Crystal- Yes it is! I wish I could say I didn't know who Lady GaGa was!

@Sherry- Agreed!

@Liz- I have Netflix now too. I don't think it does because every time I look up something I want to watch, the don't have it. And thanks for helping me give myself permission to pill bug up. It helps qith my guilt!

Carol Kilgore said...

I take month-long blog breaks two or three times a year. I've been blogging since 2009, and I need those breaks to keep from getting burnout.

We have cable, but none of the premium channels. And no Netflix. Husband watches more than I do.

Cathrina Constantine said...

I've needed a break and started to blog possibly once or twice a week.

I watch a few faves, but TV isn't that great anymore. I do like movies and having a night out.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...