Hey everybody, I won an award! (Don't act so shocked, it's unbecoming.)
It's now June, and I told myself that I'd post my Liebster Award answers in May. I'm good, aren't I? I've got a million excuses as to why it didn't get done in May, but that's boring and this post is getting longer by the letter. See? Longer. (Get on with it! 10K imaginary bonus points to the first person to id that movie quote in the comments. Imaginary bonus points can be spent in my imaginary online store The Angry Villager.)
Anywho, I want to thank Marci Koski, whom I met during the insanely awesome and tiring AtoZ blogfest, (who is also insanely awesome and not tiring at all) for nominating me and only me (and several other people) for this prestigious award.
So here are The Rules (cue echoing effect)
- Link back and thank the blogger who nominated you in your post. (check)
- List 11 random facts about yourself. (checkity check)
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you. (Boom with a check)
- Pick 5 – 10 new bloggers (must have less than 300 followers) to nominate. (half a check)
- Ask them 11 new questions. Do not re-nominate the blogger who nominated you. (gotcha, no tag backs)
- Go to each blogger’s site and inform them of their nomination. (I'm on it!)
11 Random Facts About Ava
- My ophthalmologist tried to shiv my eye and then charged me over $100 for the terrifying experience.
- Surprisingly, I'm not holding a grudge over random fact #1.
- Okay, random fact #2 is, in fact, a lie.
- I have an imaginary online store that caters to angry mobs.
- I Heart Crappy Books (But possibly not for the reason you think)
- I declared B.B. King to be a National Living Treasure.
- I've owned three motorcycles in my life.
- In college I worked in a Frederick's of Hollywood store as a sales clerk (and nothing else).
- In high school I worked in a Fotomat booth. (Yes, I looked at all the pictures. What else was there to do?)
- I have a Secret Talent.
- In one of my story outlines, my heroine is abducted by aliens while wearing a sock monkey hat.
11 Questions for Marci's Nominee
- Why did you decide to start writing your blog? My hand was forced by author, Natalie J. Damshroder. I'd joined my local writers' group and had discussed the idea that a blog might be a good way to join in the social media revolution back in 2008. I set up the shell, and she immediately linked to it. The rest is history.
- In one sentence, describe what your blog is about. There’s a twist, though: don’t use any personal or possessive pronouns! (Muah ha haaaa!) Tongue In Cheek is a blog about the crazy shenanigans and going ons of Ava Quinn and anyone unfortunate enough to be in the splash zone of said person.
- What is your earliest memory? I lived in a house full of antiques which were to be seen and not touched. When I was about three or four, I used to sneak into the dining room and twang the thin metal wick holder of a very rare candle making bench. The one pictured is missing the thin round metal rods that ran the length of each row of tubes where the wicks were tied. Probably because some kid wouldn't stop twanging them and broke them. I never broke ours, but it was a guilty pleasure from my childhood.
- Do you dream? If so, do you dream in color or black and white? Extraordinarily rarely, but when I do it's in black and white. Except on even rarer occasions when there is a splash of red a la The Sixth Sense.
- If you could only make one journey during your lifetime, but it could be to anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why? Man! Do I have to pick just one? A tour of Italy. Because of all the gorgeous Renaissance art and architecture. Not to mention the food.
- What is one of your guilty pleasures (and this had better be good…I want something really embarrassing!)? I LURVE cheesy dubbed over kung fu movies from the sixties and seventies. Whenever I come across one on tv, I immediately throw the remote away and settle in for a Saturday afternoon of bad acting, ridiculous fake blood and all the crazy kung fu moves I can stomach. (Which is a lot more than you'd expect.)
- Pick one: the Harry Potter series or the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Follow-up to what you picked: books or movies? If I choose books, it's Harry Potter. If I choose movies, it's LOTR all the way, baby.
- What is your favorite holiday, and if it’s NOT Halloween, why? Christmas. Because it's filled with wonder. Halloween is not my favorite because when I was a child I od'ed on candy corn and the holiday has left a bad taste in my mouth ever since. (Bwaa haa haa!!)
- List three words that describe your personality. Skewed, loyal, generous
- What is your favorite thing about how you earn a living? I get to teach, but I don't have to plan.
- If you could live in any time period (past, present or future), when and where would you be? The 1990s, 'cause I'm basically still living in them with my prepay flip phone, non flat screen tv, videos and audio cassette tapes. Oh, and my vinyl.
Author Delynn Royer-who happens to be my critique partner and friend. She writes historical fiction for the light of heart and has an outstanding book out right now. It Had To Be You. A romantic mystery set in NYC during the Roaring Twenties.
Author Vicki Smith who is in my local writer's group. A fun gal who I'm trying to make a newly converted fan of roller derby.
The awesome, talented and funny Liz Blocker, who has a great blog, and is also an author. (Are you seeing a trend?)
The award is yours, ladies, if you choose to accept it.
11 Questions For Said Nominees
- What is the most unusual thing you've had a character in your stories do?
- What is the craziest thing you've ever done in your life?
- Using the ancient form of Haiku (17 syllables) describe your blog. (M.J. Fifield I put this one in just for you.)
- What type of a vacation would be absolute torture for you?
- Why did you start to write?
- What is one thing on your bucket list that you haven't crossed off yet?
- What is your favorite comfort food?
- What charity or non profit is closest to your heart?
- What movie had the best movie kiss ever?
- Star Wars or Star Trek? Old or new?
- Make up any question you want and answer it here.
Until next time, Citizens!