Monday, November 8, 2010

Roast Opposum Recipe

One of my new 'Possum Queen duties is to forward the best image of eating opossum as I can. Yes it truly is "The Third White Meat, Sorta". So with that goal in mind, I've found a traditional roast opossum recipe from cooks.com to share with all my legions of followers. Anything in parentheses are my own thoughts.

ROAST OPOSSUM

1 opossum, skinned and cleaned (really, really cleaned - like bust out the Draino cleaned)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp. fat
1 opossum liver, chopped (yes, you save it and put it aside after the Draino bath)
1 c. bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 hard cooked egg, chopped
Salt
Pepper
4 strips bacon (because everything's better with bacon)

Rub opossum with salt and pepper (yes, rub it).
Brown onion in fat, add opossum liver and cook until tender (and we all know how long to cook an opossum liver until it's tender, right?).
Add bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, egg, seasonings, and water to moisten.
Stuff opossum cavity with the mixture and truss (yes, cavity - shove it in there and then sew it up).
Place in pan belly down (because belly up would be uncouth).
Put bacon strips across back (adding that extra touch of class).
Add 1 quart water to pan.
Roast uncovered at 350 degrees until tender (again, we all know how tender an opossum can become, right?), basting every 15 minutes.
It will be done in about 2 1/2 hours. Serves 2-4.

So there it is. Your very own roast opossum recipe. Just in time for Thanksgiving.

Brace yourself for more 'possum yummy goodness in future posts. That's all for now. Y'all come back now, ya hear?

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Now I'm hungry! And I've been trying so hard to stay on my "no opposum" diet.
I also think some garlic would liven this recipe right up. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Okaaaaaay. But I think we'll stick with turkey this year. I think instead of 4 strips of bacon I might need 4 pounds of bacon to eat 'possum.'

Ava Quinn said...

You're right, V. When you're right, you're right!

Ava Quinn said...

I agree, Sue. Bacon makes everything better.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...