Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Time - Who's Got It?

I sure as heck don't. I've been crazy busy this past week and a half. And I don't see an end in sight. Last year I got very stern with myself. I was working on saying no. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten much better at it.

Tonight I have a "Britches"* meeting to attend where I will be discussing the kid's activities I'll be in charge of for the New Year's Eve drop in my community.

*It's called this because the little old lady in charge had a five foot tall by five foot wide pair of pants (breeches) custom made that we lower from a flag pole at midnight. Yes, I'm telling the truth, and surprisingly, no, it wasn't my idea.

It's about 6 of us running the entire thing. And I'm the young blood. Sigh. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Blue haired little old ladies are my Kryptonite. I cannot say no to them. I've scaled back my part in these proceedings to upkeeping the website I designed for them and planning and running children's activities until 10 pm. I used to solicit funds and food donations, and distribute advertising flyers as well. But this year with my new job, I've had to be firm with the "blue hairs".

I also volunteered to run the environmental field day for my girls' schools in the spring. I did this last year and it took a toll. I developed two curriculums, aligned to the state's science standards incorporating outdoor science education activities and ran both days at the local state park. I created all the activities, shopped for all the supplies, recruited and organized all the volunteers, busing, park naturalist, and more. Now I need to start thinking about this year's new curriculums and start researching activities. Not looking forward to giving up my writing time for that.

So in the interest of saving time, I've gathered some great holiday shopping ideas for us all.

First up- Kiss Pez.

Yes, gentle readers, now you can get your sweet tooth and your rock on at the same time.
Ava Quinn, funny blog, contemporary western romance, Kiss, hot romance, contemporary romance author
It even includes a collector's tin! Now how much would you pay?
Here is yet another way to immortalize Gene Simmons and his tongue. Because we can't have too many renderings of that.

Many of you remember the year I was the county's 'Possum Queen. I was really busy that year with all my trailer park grand re-openings, but I still stand by my endorsed 'possum products. Though, the opossum fur willie warmer is not for the faint of heart.

And as always, you can find excellent gifts for all your angry mob needs at my online store, The Angry Villager. While you're ordering your engraved pitchfork, be sure to tell the operator standing by that I sent you. It's good for 8% off your total order.

Hope this helps with your holiday shopping and saves you lots of time! I aim to please.

20 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Your energy level amazes me. Your daughter's school is lucky to have you. So far you've been a queen and a president. What is left?

Pat Hatt said...

Go go go, unable to say no. The first part I can relate, but no I can do at my gate haha

Jemi Fraser said...

It really is hard to say no to those with blue hair!! I hope you find time to relax and enjoy the holidays somehow!

Bevimus said...

I echo everyone else here in saying that your line-up of activities absolutely makes my head spin! Congrats on being so busy with such wonderful activities!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. With all the stress that comes with this time of year, I have to say it is also my favorite. There is nothing like chaos and family time mixed into one month.

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, Sue. :) Maybe if I can find the time, published author?

Ava Quinn said...

lol, Pat. I need to take a page from your rhyming book.

Ava Quinn said...

Sigh, yeah. Here's hoping when I have blue hair I'll find a sucker like me to do all my bidding! lol!! I hope you have a great holiday too!

Ava Quinn said...

I'm blessed with work, I guess, Beverly! :) Thanks!

Ava Quinn said...

True dat, Lady Lilith! It's crazy, but so worth it.

Unknown said...

I had to read the part about the "britches/breeches" several times to be sure I wasn't misreading and making up crazy stuff. But no. It really IS crazy stuff. And the Gene Simmons tongue doll. Ha! Definitely going on my Christmas list. Not. Next we'll have the windup Miley "twerking" doll. o_o

Thanks for dropping by my blog. There's still time to sign up if you have a dream destination to post about! :-)

Liz Blocker said...

Wait a minute... people make - and buy - possum fur willie warmers?

I want to have a witty comment on that, but I'm too busy scraping my jaw off of the floor.

Anyway - sheesh!! I really admire your work ethic and generosity and ability to get a LOT OF STUFF DONE, but I also want to make you put it all away and take some time for yourself. It IS hard to say no, I know; I'm working on that, too. It's worth it, though. At least, that's what they tell me... ;)

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, Ava! You crack me up! The website you designed is so cute! And the idea of it really is all just cute. I can imagine a blue-haired old lady lowering a pair of pants from the flag pole. LOL.

Sherry Ellis said...

You sound like the energizer bunny! I know the feeling of racing against time!

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, Lexa! And eeeewww, Miley Twerking doll. lol.

I'll have to see if I can work in time to do the destination hop. It's really awesome!

Ava Quinn said...

Lol, Liz. Did you check out the link? There's possum nipple warmers as well. I was an equal gender opportunity endorser for sure!

Maybe 2014 will be the year of the no for me. Or if I spin it correctly, the year of the yes for my writing.

Ava Quinn said...

It's a sight to behold, Ashley. There's no description adequate enough. lol!

Ava Quinn said...

Yes you do, Sherry! Your Mama Diary is proof of that! :)

Cathrina Constantine said...

Hah, that was always my problem too, I could never say NO. Good Luck with all your activities.

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, Cathrina. I see you've got that problem in the past tense. I need to work on getting mine there!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...