Thursday, June 16, 2011

Lyme Disease? Really?

Ok, so last week it was Nursemaid's Elbow. This week - Lyme Disease.

The oldest urchin, who is six, has had a pretty high fever since Sunday afternoon. I finally got her in to the doctor this morning and his hypothesis is Lyme Disease. As if the little urchin needed anything else this year.

As you may or may not know, to check for Lyme disease blood must be drawn. When she heard that, the eyes got wide and teary, but then she took a deep breath and said, "That's okay, Mommy. I'm an old pro at this."

That's when my eyes got teary.

So she sat on my lap like she usually does for blood work, shocked the nurse by telling her it was a tourniquet that was being stretched around her arm, and then tried valiantly not to move or cry during the procedure.

She was the bravest little toaster that ever was.

So now she's on an antibiotic for the next twenty-one days and the fever has still not gone away. What a way to start her summer vacation.

And the youngest urchin has upped her terrible threes game by a power of at least ten in protest to all the attention the older one is receiving right now.

Ahh, chaos. Lovely, lovely chaos. And I'm still not getting any writing done. I wonder why.

8 comments:

Victoria said...

I call foul! You've had enough stress and trauma this year! It's time you get a break!
I'm sorry you're dealing with this!
Hang in there!

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, Vicki. A little late though. She started vomiting earlier tonight.

Maybe you can call foul a little louder to the powers that be. I'd appreciate it.

M.J. Fifield said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so, so sorry to hear that. I hope things turn around for all of you soon!!

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, M. I appreciate it.

Misty said...

I CALL FOUL!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think that might be loud enough? Hang in there, hon. And hold onto your brave little toaster.

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, Misty. The fever has subsided. Things are looking up a little. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

What an awesome child you have. I'm so sorry she's going through this! And you, too. I hope the treatment fixes her right up.

Any chance Lyme was responsible for all her other problem symptoms, too?

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, Natalie.

No, the Lyme was a new addition.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...