Monday, December 1, 2008

In Which Way Do Threes Come?

So I thought I was done complaining, but evidently I'm not. The old saying goes, bad luck comes in threes. I'm wondering how it comes in threes because by this point I'm thinking three months of bad luck instead of three bad things happening. Here's the latest round of three.

A deer hit my husband's car, I had a tire blowout while I was driving, and yesterday we woke up to a cold house and no gas to heat it.

The deer hit the car earlier in the month. My husband decided that it wasn't all that bad, and that he could repair it himself, thereby bypassing the cost of labor. The parts arrived (with a hefty price tag), and have been sitting in my dining room for the month. He hasn't had the time, energy or good enough weather to begin the repairs.

Last Wednesday I was driving along a back road, when the minivan started shaking. I knew right away what it was. This is the second blowout I've had in my lifetime. The first was getting off of a highway on the outlying area of Philadelphia. That one was scary, especially for a nineteen year old. So anyway, everyone was fine, but we need four new tires on the minivan because the one that blew really brought home the fact that they're worn out. (the radials are showing through on the inside track.) So there's four new tires and an alignment.

Yesterday, Sunday of course, I wake up to sleet outside, and fifty degree temps inside. Our gas had run out. Now, I guess part of that is our fault for not checking diligently, but we're on an automatic delivery system with Amerigas, that sometimes they don't deliver as regularly as they should. Plus, when we moved in, the gas gauge for one of the tanks was broken. The gas company owns the tanks, and refuses to fix it or replace it. Don't get me started on the evils of Amerigas. I will be giving some poor secretary or hopefully customer representative a hard time later this morning. So since it's Sunday, there is no one at Amerigas. They're closed. So the best thing I can do is leave a message. And you can bet your sweet bippy I did. This isn't the first time they've left us without gas. The first time was Christmas Eve a few years back. That was pleasant, let me tell you.

So there are three new ones for the month of November. It's not all the crappy stuff that happened, but the major highlights. November hasn't shaped up to be any better than October was. But let's try and look on the bright side, shall we? The deer didn't total the car. No one got hurt in the tire blowout. The gas ran out Sunday instead of Saturday when we had my brother and his family up for Thanksgiving, and we were able to cook the turkey and all the trimmings. Plus we have a wood stove and lots o' wood to burn.

So in which ways do threes come? Three and they're done? Three per month? Three a day? I have to tell you, I'm starting to get superstitious. I keep trying to think back. Did I break a mirror? Did I cross paths with a black cat? Did I piss off some entity that's now exacting revenge? It's probably the last one. I think I'll hang up some garlic garland with my tinsel this year and hope that the new year brings some better luck with it.

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Ugh, Mandy!
Are you sure you're not living my life? It certainly seems like it!!
Hang in there! It's got to get better soon!

snasts - rotten snack food.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Oh, Mandy! *hugs*

I decree that the threes are DONE. Everything will be lovely and happy for you from here on in. At least for a little while.

*snort* at Smith's WVD entry. Mine:

crophe: croup with an accent

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks guys! It better. But I mean it. No more complaining for me. I need to buckle down and get some enthusiasm back! I've barely written in three months let alone anything even semi-good. I have to get back to it!

snats (huh-huh-huh Beavis and Butthead laughter)

that's some high fallutin' croup!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

HA! Snats. Love it.

Mandy, if you want to gripe, you keep on griping. You DESERVE to gripe!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...