Monday, February 23, 2009

Muzac as a Career Path

So I was in a restaurant yesterday where they actually played muzac. I tried not to let it annoy me, but it made me think. (Scary thought that muzac made me think. Now I'm thinking I might need to get out a bit more.) Anyway, here's what it made me think. Who are these people who play the muzac to be recorded? The musicians that actually play annoyingly mainstreamed instrumental versions of the songs on the radio. Who are they, and how did they come to this career choice?

Did they not make it in "The Show"? No symphony orchestra accepted them? Is this like figure skaters who don't medal in the Olympics and end up wearing a Snoopy costume in the Ice Capades? ("Yeah, I'm in the Capades.")

Or do they love to play the cello so much that they couldn't let go of the dream to play professionally and ended up at muzac headquarters jonesin' for a gig? "I'll take anything, man. I'm desperate, here."

Maybe they just needed a paycheck and went slumming for a while to make ends meet. But then do you put that on your resume? What type of self respecting musician would list muzac on their resume? Hmmmm.

So here's where I'm going with this. Every once in a while I get the fear that I'm going to end up hanging on to the dream of writing too long and eventually wind up doing the equivalent of wearing a Snoopy costume on ice skates while playing the violin as I record Put A Ring On It elevator style.

Now if that isn't a scary thought for the day I don't know what is.

4 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

LOL!

Uh, oh. I hope writing short romances for solitaire games doesn't qualify as the muzak equivalent...

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I think we all have that fear now and again. But writers are brave and I'm sure you'll go on. I have to admit I've wondered about the people in the ice capades. Had a friend in high school that didn't make it on Broadway and ended up being a back up dancer at The Grand Ole Opry.

Ava Quinn said...

No. Natalie. That was cool. Writing the backs of cereal boxes where on a windswept hill Capt'n Crunch seduces the reader would qualify.

Ava Quinn said...

Yeah, Sue, the Capades are an interesting venture. Part mystery, part graveyard for broken dreams.

(I kid. That's why the blog is called tongue in cheek.)

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...