Monday, April 14, 2014

AtoZ A Lid For Every Pot

Hi there all you awesome AtoZers and all others who've stumbled across my little infinitesimal corner of the blogosphere. I'm glad you're here today. Yesterday was insane. Youngest Urchin started puking at bedtime and was up most of the night. Earlier in the day yesterday the toilet tank broke and a huge chunk cracked off, flooding the bathroom. We had to tear out the flooring to the studs. Now there's other bigger plumbing and flooring issues besides taking out a toilet and replacing it. And this means we're down to one bathroom in the whole house. UGH!!

Anyway...this little gem tells about my encounter with a carny worker from the fireman's fair that comes to town every year and parks itself for four glorious days just past our back fence. The Urchins hang on said fence like rabid squirrels, salivating over all the rides as they're assembled during the week before opening day. I hope you enjoy this glimpse of my 2010 romantic side as I relay my belief that there's...

A Lid For Every Pot

I have a theory, that receives some rather substantial proof every August when the fireman's fair erupts just beyond my back fence. This theory may seem hopelessly optimistic, but I believe wholeheartedly that there is a lid for every pot.

As the smells of funnel cake and pizza, french fries and horse manure fill the air, a sweltering mix of humanity flocks to the rides and food. A wondrous mixture of lids and pots.

Some pots have found their lids and display their tandem-ness with pride. The elderly couple who shuffle along, carrying their aluminum lawn chairs to reserve their spot on the grass for the gospel singers who perform the first night. The vinyl webbing for the chairs has been removed, and in their place are matching woven yarn patterns. His and hers. They sit together and chat with everyone around them. He cheekily pats her knee with a gnarled hand which earns him a girlish smile that rearranges her wrinkles and a playful smack on his arm.

You look around and there's the middle-aged couple advertising their fit by strolling arm in arm as they wear matching outfits. Dressed alike, you can't miss that he's her lid.

Then there's the odd couple. A gigantic man with natural orange hair, pencil drawn eyebrows, tattooed eye liner, and a lavender shirt covering his substantial bulk loudly expounds on the golden era of Hollywood. A thin young man, in black from the tips of his spiked hair to the tips of his combat boots hangs on his every word as tightly as he hangs onto his arm.

Lids and pots. Everywhere you look. Some matched up; others on the hunt. Flocks of teenage girls giggle and scream, sounding the availability call to the gaggles of teenage boys, who laugh and shove and bullshit their way around the midway. The flashing neon lights of the rides and games draw them just like clouds of moths, looking to try on a lid for the night to see if it fits.

As I wait in line for the umpteenth time to put my youngest urchin on her favorite ride, the operator strikes up a conversation that doesn't require much on my part.

"How old is she?"

"Three."

"Oh, that's almost as old as my twins. They're four." He bares his twisted teeth at me in a friendly sort of way. "I got a seven year old and another'n on the way."

He nods his head across the midway to a surly looking young woman with a severe ponytail; pregnant out to here. She glares at me as she slumps in her decrepit metal folding chair, and I smile the smile of someone caught staring, before she returns to taking the tickets for her ride.

"They gave her a chair so's she c'n sit down."

I nod, and he flashes those teeth again, as I try to decide if he's seventeen or thirty. All I can discern for sure is he looks like life has already ridden him hard and put him up wet.

"Yup," he continues undaunted as he takes in the midway with awe, "They gave us both jobs, 'n they've been good to work for. Just look at that chair they gave her." His chest swells with pride as he gazes over at her again.

And I can almost hear the metallic clunk of a lid falling into place.

12 comments:

Sunday Visitor said...

True, every pot needs a lid!

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

I love the sentiment of there being a lid for every pot and that's such a delightful story. I do hope you RL disasters are sorted out soon.
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

Liz Blocker said...

Wow, this IS romantic - and really sweet! I really love this. You describe the people so clearly, I can SEE them in front of me, and I love that although the picture might not look too pretty, you find the beauty in it, anyway. Really lovely.

Also, I've never heard this expression before: " life has already ridden him hard and put him up wet. " And now it's my new favorite! LOL

Also also, good god!! What an insane day you had. I didn't know toilets could even DO that; I was reading this thinking, "how does this actually happen to people???" Good luck with the clean up!!

Andrea said...

Awwwww...carnie love! This is such a beautifully written piece.

Hope your situation is improving and that you didn't have to p=bust out pots to compensate for the bowl shortage!

Julie Flanders said...

Love this piece. And I've always thought this was such a great saying. Unfortunately I've never managed to find my lid LOL.

Pat Hatt said...

Those lids can be hard to come by haha really lovey dovey indeed, nice

Sherry Ellis said...

Lids and pots- love the pairing! Not so sure I'd love the smell of manure and french fries, though!

Sophie Duncan said...

Aww - pots that the rest of us might find gawdy, someone thinks are just a perfect fit :)
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

Crystal Collier said...

Yikes. Well, ignorance is bliss. She might not have been in either, but he certainly seemed to be.

True Heroes from A to Z

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

What a great story. All most of us need is the right lid to make us happy. Those old couples together always make me smile.

Ava Quinn said...

@Sunday Visitor- :D

@Tasha- Thanks! It will probably take a few weeks for the bathroom. >:(

@Liz Thank you! Those comments really brightened my day. You're so cool! :)

@Andrea- Thanks and thanks!! :)

@Julie- thanks! Don't worry, you're time will come! I've got a theory!

@Pat- Thanks!

@Sherry- lol! Yeah, that's one pairing that doesn't fit!

@Sophie- Yup! lol! :)

@Crystal- I'm not sure what you mean? lol.

@Sue- Thanks! Yes, I have a major soft spot for them myself. ;)

Mars said...

Loved your post, I think someone else has already said it, but I could really see those people come to life by your writing.

Mars
Curling Stones for Lego People

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...