Thursday, July 31, 2014

Back At The Desk

Hi Everybody! I'm back! I survived the two week camping trip, but am now drowning in laundry. Soooo, you know what that means.

Another rerun.

Wait, wait, put down the pitchforks (though hopefully you purchased them at my store, The Angry Villager). This rerun is from my vacation last summer to visit my folks in Montana. And there's lots of taxidermy involved.

I can tell I placated you with that last sentence. So sit back and enjoy...

More Fun With Taxidermied Squirrels (I'll be filling you in on all the gory camping details soon.)

Yes, folks, there's so much fun to be had with taxidermied squirrels. You didn't think I'd be able to find anything more entertaining than the ones from my previous post, did you? Well the gauntlet has been thrown down. Here are pictures of actual boxing taxidermied squirrels that I saw in all their moth-nibbled first hand glory when I visited Montana in July.

Ava Quinn, contemprorary western romance writer, contemporary romance author. contemporary western romance novel, taxidermy squirrels, boxing squirrels, funny blog
Upper cut. Upper cut. (Name that video game!)

Ava Quinn, contemprorary western romance writer, contemporary romance author. contemporary western romance novel, taxidermy squirrels, boxing squirrels, funny blog
Note the sheep in the background. This becomes important later.

Ava Quinn, contemprorary western romance writer, contemporary romance author. contemporary western romance novel, taxidermy squirrels, boxing squirrels, funny blog
EXTREME CLOSE UP!
 My mom sent me these photos since I'd forgotten to take them when I was there admiring coughshockedandmezmerizedinabadwaycough them in person. She included in the bottom of the email this picture that scared the ever loving crap out of me.


Ava Quinn, contemprorary western romance writer, contemporary romance author. contemporary western romance novel, taxidermy squirrels, boxing squirrels, funny blog

I could have done without that. (The lamb has a twin coming out of its back. Note the legs appearing as spider leg appendages and the two sets of ears.)

There was an entire case of taxidermied animals at this museum, and the Youngest Urchin, who just turned six, went through and named them all. Until she got to this one. She paused in her identifications, and deemed it, "A baby bobcat and its turkey friend."

Ava Quinn, contemprorary western romance writer, contemporary romance author. contemporary western romance novel, taxidermy squirrels, boxing squirrels, funny blog
Umm, friends don't let friends nibble on each other, Youngest Urchin. Just so you know.
And yet, despite the taxidermy, (or maybe because of it) a good time was had by all that day.


Ava Quinn, contemprorary western romance writer, contemporary romance author. contemporary western romance novel, taxidermy squirrels, boxing squirrels, funny blog
The Urchins, my mom and me. The Man is behind the camera.

What would you want to see in your taxidermy? Inquiring mind (me, of course) would like to know.

23 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

The laundry pile up. This is when a little magic laundry spell comes in handy.

Pat Hatt said...

lol with a friend like that the bird needs no enemies

Christine Rains said...

Taxidermied animals always sort of creeped me out. Though those squirrels are amusing!

Andrea said...

Um, is it okay to not want to see anything in taxidermy? Friends don't let friends nibble...heeheehee!

Robin said...

Turns out I am not a fan of taxidermy. Didn't know how much until this very moment. And you were right to be creeped out by the lamb. CREEEEEEPY.

Unknown said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you had a good time. Laundry. Ugh. Don't remind me. I remember this post - that means I'm a true Tongue in Cheek aficionado! :)

M.J. Fifield said...

I have a huge pile-up of laundry, and I don't even have a good reason like a two week camping trip to explain it. Just laziness.

I remember this post, too. =)

Empty Nest Insider said...

Glad you had a good trip! Though I love your family photo, the taxidermy ones are a bit creepy in a fun way of course! Hope you get caught up with your laundry soon!

Julie

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Woot for surviving nature!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

THE MAN took some great shots, Ava. Looks like you guys had fun. Enjoy doing the laundry. There's something quietening about watching the cycle spin.

Liz Blocker said...

Ok, I had my pitchfork in hand, ready to raise a ruckus, when you placated me with taxidermy. I mean, who DOESN'T love looking at creepy dead animals???

farawayeyes said...

Hi Ava, nice to meet you. Not a real fan of taxidermy, although some of my family have quite a bit in their home. At least no freakish animals, yet. That sheep is totally creepy. Not exactly sure why someone would want to preserve that.

Stephanie Faris said...

Yikes. Taxidermy freaks me out!

A Beer for the Shower said...

Those boxing squirrels are hilarious... but not so hilarious I'd actually want them in my home. It takes a special kind of person to want to get into taxidermy.

Cherie Reich said...

I think taxidermy animals are a bit creepy, but we sometimes joke about doing that to one of our cats. She'd looked so pretty stuffed.

Carol Kilgore said...

Taxidermy kind of freaks me out a little. And I've seen plenty of deer heads and sport fish mounted on walls. Wax museums freak me out a lot.

Marci said...

Glad to see you back, Ava! I hope that your summer camping trip was successful (and by that, it appears that it was, since you made it back home). Your taxidermy post made me think of the time when my dad got a mounted jackelope head from a friend and decided to hang it in the kitchen, which my stepmom (very proper, prissy, conservative) absolutely hated. When I came home from school the next day (I was in 6th grade I think), she was (zoiks!) sitting on the kitchen counter and (SCHNIKIES!!!) smoking an actual cigarette. "Well, if your father wants to turn this kitchen into a bar, I'm going to treat it like one!" Weird thing was that my dad wasn't even home. I have no idea what she was trying to prove, smoking at us kids. What a weirdo!!! :)

Crystal Collier said...

Oh my. I always thought taxidermy was a little creepy. My grandpa was a hunter and had many of his catches mounted in his cabin. My dad tried his hand at it when he was a teen and punctured a skunk's sac. Needless to say, it was not an encouraged art in our home.

Melissa said...

Ha! Find me an armadillo. :P

Delynn Royer said...

I have fond memories of this post, especially those Rock 'Em Sock 'Em taxidermy squirrels. :) Also love that pic of all the fine ladies in your family. Welcome back!

Mina Burrows said...

Okay, those photos are hilarious. Taxidermy is uber creepy, but there are a ton of people into it, ya know? Welcome back!

Sherry Ellis said...

Good luck getting that laundry done! Those taxidermy creatures are interesting. My dad has some squirrels and deer heads hanging around his house.

Unknown said...

Wow! how strangely interesting!
ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...