Sunday, May 5, 2013

You Know You're Getting Old When . . .

you recover from your motorcycle accident by lying on the couch and watching The Antiques Roadshow. After that eneded, Lawrence Welk came on and I was unable to find the remote. I had to send my five year old upstairs to have my husband rescue me from THIS!!!!



It almost broke me. (bone wracking shudders)

As they say, there's two kinds of riders; those who've laid down their bikes and those who haven't . . .yet. So yes, I took a small spill on my motorcycle on the way to my monthly writers meeting. I'm mostly okay, and the bike is fine. Just a cracked turn signal light and a few small scuffs.

I was going through an S turn under a train overpass, and a huge pick up truck hauling a trailer was coming the other direction. He took the turn wide and I swerved to get out of his way. The bike tipped too far and went over. I hit the pavement on my shoulder and did a Pete Rose slide across the asphalt.
As usual, I was wearing jeans, boots, motorcycle jacket with armor, helmet and gloves. (Though there's no armor on the front of the jacket.)  I put my foot  down to try and stop the fall, and am having some soreness in the knee, probably from the force and weight of the bike, my shoulders and neck are sore. And my left boob. Could have done without that.

The driver didn't stop, and I slid into the middle of the road, which could have been fatal if someone came around the corner behind me right away, and my cycle hit the bank. Another motorcycle rider was coming in the opposite direction. He pulled over and helped me out, made sure I was okay and that my bike still ran. Great guy. Harley rider. Salt of the Earth, as are most of them. 

So there's the abbreviated version of my accident. I'm still stiff and sore. I still ran the writer's meeting and went to lunch after. I'm nothing if not stupid hard core.

Of course I now have more fear in riding, and the thought has crossed my mind that it may be time to give it up. We'll see what I think in a week or two.

So how was your weekend? Hope it was better than mine.

6 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

Yikes! That's awful! Can't believe the driver didn't stop! I hope you feel better today (even if it is Monday) and all that soreness disappears soon! Take care *hugs*

Golden Eagle said...

I'm glad you're okay after the accident, if a bit sore!

I react the same way to the Lawrence Welk show.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

So glad you're all right. I hate to think of you giving it up. I always picture you in the leather jacket.

Delynn Royer said...

Ye gad! The Lawrence Welk Show?? That was a painful experience even way back when I was growing up, which was... well, never mind. (Sending good thoughts your way. Hope you feel better soon!)

nutschell said...

oh my. glad you're recovering well though. Sending you more healing thoughts to speed your recovery.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Ava Quinn said...

@Jemi- Thanks. I'm finally feeling better. (Wednesday) I'm not as gimpy and have mobility back.

@G.E.- Thanks. I had a babysitter, way back when, who would watch Lawrence Welk when she sat for us. The double torture was that it was on at the exact same time as The Wonderful World of Disney. I'm still recovering from that blow!

@Sue- Thanks. The verdict is still out on whether I'll be selling the bike or continuing to ride. We'll see.

@Delynn- Thanks. See above for my double Lawrence Welk trauma. If I recap, I'll have to go back into therapy.

@Nutschell- Thank so much! They're working. :)

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...