Saturday, April 12, 2014

AtoZ Karaoke In The Pokey

Hi AtoZ fanatics! Glad to have you here. My theme for this year is The Best of Tongue In Cheek, which translated means-reruns! Yes, all the crazy goodness of the past, served up fresh and new, just for you. Today's offering from 2010 is...

Karaoke in the Pokey

Yes. You heard me. Prison Karaoke. If you don't remember, my best friend works at a prison. She always has great stories, and I've been saving this one.

On holidays, since many of the prison workers are off, the ones who work those days set up special events since there's not enough staff to run the regular activities such as basketball, the weight room, etc. So this year they decided to have an American Idol sort of competition with karaoke.

One of the semifinalists of the first round sang James Brown's Baby I Got That Feeling. Here's James Brown himself performing part of it.



The inmate who performed it apparently did every James Brown patented move along with a few others thrown in to boot and almost needed to be carried from the stage from exhaustion. He couldn't sing very well, but the showmanship alone carried him on to the finals.

In the finals, he belted out Michael Jackson's Dirty Diana.



According to my source, he only knew the chorus and sang that at the top of his lungs. Again, showmanship carried the day over actual singing talent as he performed every Michael Jackson move known to man.

He beat out the only other competition, who, by the way, could actually sing, but was so nervous he sang very quietly and twirled his hair as he did. Not really a move to get you the votes during Karaoke in the Pokey, or so I have come to understand. Though it probably got him a boyfriend or three.

James Brown/Michael Jackson in an orange jumpsuit won twenty five bucks and some notoriety around the prison. Not sure if that last part was a good thing or will turn around to bite him in the ass. Pretty literally.

But this is what I'm trying to convince my best friend to organize next. I think it would be great for morale and more importantly, excellent fodder for my blog.





Until next time, Citizens!

13 comments:

Tasha Duncan-Drake said...

Karaoke is awesome and it is often the showmanship that counts :).
Tasha
Tasha's Thinkings - AtoZ (Vampires)
FB3X - AtoZ (Erotic Drabbles)

Andrea said...

From karaokes to flash mob...excellent aspiration!

randi lee said...

I love that the prison did this. Art, craft and special moments are so important to reform--and to reminded prisoners that they are still human beings.

Sophie Duncan said...

Karaoke - pass time of kings ;P It is quite often bravado over talent, and so it should be, those that take it too seriously have missed the point :D
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

Pat Hatt said...

okie dokie, it rhymed, so well timed. Karaoke takes some balls indeed

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Singing in singsing? Sounds like quite the holiday.

Sherry Ellis said...

Those inmates at the bottom are hilarious! It looked like a scene from Walking Dead at the beginning.

Liz Blocker said...

No, I did NOT know that your best friend works in a prison! OMG, this is like literary GOLD. You must write a book (or twelve) about this. I think the title of one of the chapters HAS to be Karaoke in the Pokey...

Kate Larkindale said...

What a great thing to do for the prisoners. I love karaoke, but I suck....

Crystal Collier said...

Yikes. Well that's a story for you. Hilarious.

SK Anthony said...

LOL Funny! You know I've never done karaoke and I'm not sure I ever will...I'd have to be extremely intoxicated to not know what I'm doing.

Lynda Dietz said...

Oh my gosh, that is too funny. I am picturing all the James Brown & Michael Jackson moves being done by someone who can't actually sing. The mental picture is so worth it.

Mina Burrows said...

Okay. That's just hilarious. Great post.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...